Ready to open a new checking account with us? Use this guide to help make the switch easy and fast.
- Choose An Account
We offer two options:
- Free Checking is an economical choice, because it’s fee free, with no monthly fees or minimum balance requirement.
- Investment Checking is a good option if you carry a higher account balance and want to earn tiered dividends on that balance.
- Open Your Account Online
- Log in to Online Banking
- Under “Account Services,” select “Open a New Share” and select “Share Draft Checking”
- Then select either Free Checking or Investment Checking
All new checking accounts are subject to a Chex Systems review.
- Transfer Your Money
It’s simple and secure to transfer money from your old checking account to your new SchoolsFirst FCU account. After logging into Online Banking, select “Transfer Funds” and then “Add an External Account.” Two small micro deposits will be made into the account you are adding. Once you verify the deposit amounts, you will be able to make transfers.
- What you’ll need: Your bank’s routing number and your account number
- How long it will take: 5 minutes
- Micro test deposits are credited to the external account within two to three business days from the date of the withdrawal.
- Switch Over Direct Deposit and Online Bill Pay
Next, set up direct deposit with your employer. You’ll need our routing number and your account number, which you can find under “Account Services” and “Electronic Routing Services.” Review a recent account statement to make sure that you cancel all automatic bill payments scheduled with your old account and reschedule bill payments with your new account.
- Direct Deposit Set up How long it will take: 5 minutes
- Online Bill Pay Setup What you’ll need: Company names and your account numbers
- How long it will take: 5–20 minutes (depending on the number of Payees you set up)
- Close Your Old Account
Before you close your account, download copies of your bank statements for future reference. You can either close your account in person or send a written request that includes your account information and any special instructions. See sample letter. Ask for written confirmation that your account has been closed and when you receive it, file it with your account information for three years. Once your account is officially closed, shred any remaining checks and cut up your debit card.
- What you’ll need: a stamp and an envelope
- How long it will take: 5 minutes
When you click on external links, you are linking to alternate websites not operated by SchoolsFirst FCU, and SchoolsFirst FCU is not responsible for the content of the alternate websites. The fact that there is a link from SchoolsFirst FCU’s email to an alternate website does not constitute endorsement of any product, service, or organization. SchoolsFirst FCU does not represent either you or the website operator if you enter into a transaction. Privacy and security policies may differ from those practiced by SchoolsFirst FCU, and you should review the alternate website’s policies.
Extra Credit provides general information to help improve our Member’s financial lives. Every situation is different, so please contact us for guidance on your specific needs. The advice provided in Extra Credit is not intended to serve as a substitute for speaking to a loan representative, financial advisor, or BALANCE counselor who can help tailor a solution for you.
If you post a comment, we will make every effort to respond or contact you directly. We reserve the right to delete comments that contain personal information, unauthorized content, or are generally inappropriate.